Here we go.

30 August 2008

Completely disregard that last post, my facts are wrong.  Apparently AR Dem Delegates gave some votes to Sen. Clinton.  I misheard!  
--------------------------------------------------------------------
What an intense week, what with the Democratic Convention & the really weird VP pick of Sen. McCain!  I feel mentally & emotionally drained.  I'm having a hard time finding the words of what's going on up here (I'm pointing at my head) and in here (I'm pointing at my heart).  

The Democratic Convention.  At the beginning of the week, I felt pissed because you could just smell the nasty between the Clinton Dems v. Obama Dems.  I shouted incredulous "Really?"s at the telly & paced the living room.  It was total gloom & doom.

Despite the awkwardness, there was some sappiness, yeah?  I'd like to think that I know when my emotions are being toyed with, that all of that sappy stuff is for the benefit of nostalgic voters or undecideds.  I was taken aback at my getting a little teary-eyed over Sen. Kennedy's appearance.  I have mixed feelings about Uncle Teddy, I mean, what a legacy!  But also, he's too old school for today's politics.  Strip away the nostalgia, we've got to adapt to new politics, amirite?  Things are different now, we need a change!

I wasn't much appeased by Hillary's speech.  I mean, it was o.k.  It's just, well, it was what she wasn't saying that upset me.  She didn't really vouch for Barack, did she?  She didn't defend his character or say that he'd be a good Commander in Chief.  I guess it would kill her to say it, it's an admission of being wrong, innit?  It was very frustrating for me.

However, as the convention went on, my confidence escalated.  Speech after speech, I felt like Dems were hitting home runs, that things were going to be o.k. & we were going to be just fine.  

I feel a massive respect for the Clintons, they really smoothed things out.  I am in awe of Hillary, giving up the nomination process by acclamation.  She looked like a champion boxer with her posse, arriving,  walking up to the ring & announcing.  TKO!  And then Bill, the lying, cheating & possibly criminal bastard -- he did his usual thing, making me like him despite everything.  Great speech!  I especially liked the "Thanks, but no thanks."  

Strong work by Sens. Kerry, Biden & Gore, too.  I really appreciated Gore's focus on the environment.   

I was pleased with Obama's acceptance speech, especially when he attacked McCain.  I know, that's awful, but it was what I needed to hear.  McCain is a kooky old man with old man plans and he needs to be called out on it.  He totally doesn't get it!  

Like some folks I know, I'm a bit skeptical of some of Obama's plans, they are pretty fucking ambitious.  I'm not too keen on tapping into natural gas reserves.  I know it's less pollution, but it's still a fossil fuel.  And, too, there's no such thing as "clean coal".  I guess they'll have to do if it means being completely off foreign oil in 10 years time, though!  

To add to this mix, I've been worried about Hurricane Gustav & his aim at NOLA.  Please, no, not again!  We've already watched this great American city drown and her people suffer.  They still suffer!  I'm relieved that there are efforts for evacuation and folks are more prepared & as ready as can be, but it's still very worrisome.  New Orleans and all other coastal areas in the threat zone are totally in my thoughts and in my heart.

So, by the time Friday rolls around, I'm already an emotional wreck and McCain announces his VP pick, one Sarah Palin.  ??? ??  !!!!! 

Here's my first, natural, instinctive response:  Fuck you, John McCain.  From the deepest depths of my very being, FUCK YOU.  You! Grrrr.  I sit here, evil eyes on, shaking my head and fist.  

You guys, he is being for real and that's what's scary.  


1 comment:

Alannah said...

All I can say is yes, yes, a million times YES. I understand and agree with what you say completely!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHhhhh......

Blog Archive